Skip to main content

'Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine' and Entirely Necessary


During the penultimate weekend of March, I found myself in a well-known bookshop with my other half. I picked up a copy of Gail Honeyman’s Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine and gave a sigh so deep and heartfelt that my partner snatched the book from my hands and headed straight towards the till. The deep and heartfelt sigh was entirely unjustified at the time, though, because I knew absolutely nothing about Eleanor Oliphant. I knew that the novel was critically acclaimed, I also knew that many book bloggers and Instagrammers who I follow had read and loved the book – but I knew nothing about it, its protagonist, or indeed this protagonist’s story.

Nevertheless, I was bought the book and I set about reading it a day or two later. This is the part where the spoilers are likely to sneak in so advert your eyes – and skip a paragraph ahead – if you’re looking to avoid surprises about the plot. Eleanor is a young woman – thirty years old, if memory serves right, and she lives in social housing. After a tragic childhood, that saw her own mother start a house fire just to try and get rid of Eleanor – and Eleanor’s sister, we later find out – Eleanor has lived a life that sees her keep herself to herself. She has a weekly routine that she sticks too regimentally, including her nine to five office job that she has had for a total of nine years – since leaving university, that is – and she doesn’t tend to deviate much from her day to day life, ever. Eleanor has indeed spent much of her adult life very much alone – and that’s completely fine.

Until she meets Raymond – and that’s as much as you’ll get from me in terms of the plot!

The reason that I’ve been driven to write about Eleanor Oliphant, over and above the other heroines I encounter on a book by book basis, such is the bias of my reading, is because there’s something different about Eleanor. She is socially under-developed, exceptionally awkward around new people – nay, all people, in fact – and you never know what’s going to come out of her mouth next, to the point that her dialogue is occasionally cringe-worthy (at best) and downright uncomfortable to read (at worst). And yet, this awkward and socially clumsy girl with a colourful childhood and – as we later find out – an equally colourful adulthood, has won the hearts of a huge readership. Precisely, I think, for the very reasons outlined above.

Eleanor is lonely. She has been ill-nurtured in a world that she doesn’t altogether understand and then thrown headfirst into it, entirely on her own. She occasionally meets people who are kind but, such is the nature of the world these days, people are seldom just being kind, and because of this Eleanor is unfamiliar with genuinely thoughtful gestures and instead dismisses them, opting instead for her own company and her own safety, which is what she has come to rely on.

Now, if this doesn’t sound familiar to you – to some degree, at least – then you’re living a very good life indeed, because who hasn’t been Eleanor? Without the tragic past, I sincerely hope! But the loneliness, the alienation from society’s kindness, all of that is, surely for some if not most, an all too familiar feeling – again I say, at least to some degree. While other fictional heroines – not all, I stress, but certainly some – manage to see and experience the good in the world, Eleanor has actually seen and experienced some of the worst in the world. Eleanor is alone, depressed, and to some extent alcohol dependent – although this is a largely unexplored feature of the book – and she’s also entirely relatable, which is precisely why she is being built into a world-famous heroine of contemporary fiction.

Honeyman hasn’t given us a neat story and a happy ending; she has given us grit and a character who is hardened and determined enough to push through it, again and again – single-handedly, might I add. Eleanor, despite leaning on Raymond for support and comfort in the latter chapters of the book, experiences the worst of everything on her own, and it’s only when she starts to come through the other side does she begin to lean on those around – now she finally feels mentally able to.

Eleanor’s story is a difficult one, admittedly, but the difficulties are precisely what make the sunshine-moments so distinct and clear. Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine not only portrays the worst of humanity but also some of the best of it, and this is communicated through one of the most unconventional heroines that we’ve seen, I think, in quite some time. In her own way, Eleanor has the potential to be an iconic female protagonist, and with a film on the way – rumour has it – it’s only a matter of time before Honeyman’s message, through the mouthpiece of Eleanor, spreads to a wider readership and audience. I am sincerely grateful to have been given a heroine who has crawled her way back from the depths honestly, unashamedly, and without the guiding hand of a patriarchal figure to push her along the way. Eleanor, although unconventional, is also entirely necessary for well-rounded material on what young women are and can be – and she is also a character who will stay with you long after you finish the final page.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A rough-around-the-edges poem: Talk Me Down

I’m on the precipice of panic, I’ve said something and I can’t retract it and worse still you won’t let me. I’m on the cusp of begging you to forget me but you’ve already made it uncomfortably clear that no matter how near to the cliff face I feel, you’re not letting me go anywhere. And so I run. Wind in hair, feet pounding ground, I’m endeavouring to outrun light and sound but then you catch me by the collar just as my feet are about to become unbound. I’m on the edge of something now, inhaling sea air and as my lungs contract you try to pull me back in tact but I’m still wriggling against you. You can’t understand what I’m hiding from on the cliff top, why a long drop and a slow stop might seem more appealing that whatever these emotions are that I’m feeling, which should give you an idea of how itchy they make me, or maybe an idea of how few I’m showing and how many I’m really concealing. I can feel a world of love inside my che

The Diary of a Whatever I Am Now: Transition period.

Transition: 'the process or the period of changing from one state or condition to another'. I wanted to make this blog more of a regular thing once my PhD was over, for several reasons. Partly it’s just to log what happens next and this, in itself, is two-fold: I want to have some kind of documentation of this recovery process (yes, that’s what I’m calling it) that follows the PhD, but I also live in hope that someone who is struggling with having finished their PhD might find this blog some day, and breathe a hefty sigh on realising that the weird grief-cum-relief they’re feeling right now isn’t totally abnormal – in fact, it might even be quite common. I also want to get into the habit of writing more – something I’m encouraging my own students to do now and I hate giving out writing advice that I haven’t/am not taking myself, and so here we are. This is my first post as a Whatever I Am Now (because I still don’t have balls big enough to write The Diary of a Writer in th

I should(n't) be writing, right?

It’s been a little while since I wrote one of these things so let me catch you up: I’ve finished my PhD I’ve finished lecturing for this academic year I’m publishing my first poetry pamphlet in July (you can pre-order it here  if you feel in the mood to treat yourself) I’ve placed my debut novel with a publisher (Bloodhound Books, who are kind and sympathetic people to work with), and I’ve started writing another novel They’re the major blanks filled in – unless I’ve forgotten something, but we can always come back for a quick edit later. I’ve been exceptionally lucky so far this year; that’s my only real explanation for all of the above. After worrying ‘how I would top 2017’ – after submitting my thesis and publishing The Women You Were Warned About – 2018 has, in fact, been quite the beaut of a year so far. But, I digress! My main reason for coming back to this blog is that I have a new/different/changing relationship with writing at the moment, and