Skip to main content

The Diary of a (former) PhD Student: One last panic...


It’s been so long since I last updated this space that it took three attempts to get my password right just to log in here. Off the top of my head I couldn’t actually remember when I’d last rambled on about my PhD but, if Blogger records are anything to go by, it looks like it was back in September 2017 – which must mean that it was immediately before or immediately after handing in the dreaded thesis.

If you’re reading this and we’re friends on Facebook, or you follow me on one social media channel or another, then you’ll already know the outcome. If by some minor chance you have stumbled across this blog without knowing me – or you’ve started to follow this blog, without really knowing who I am – then: SURPRISE! I PASSED MY PHD!

But there were one or two steps between then and now so kick back and let me fill you in (or, alternatively, you could click the top right X and call it a day; I have, after all, given you the ending to this story already).

I handed in my thesis in late September – it was a Thursday, and it was quite sunny for the time of year; I can even tell you what outfit that I was wearing when I submitted my work (isn’t it weird what sticks with you?). On the Tuesday after I handed in my thesis, I started lecturing. Despite this lecturing work being one day a week, I absolutely convinced myself that I had somehow managed to skip over the emotional and psychological lull that follows a thesis submission – the one that everyone had warned me would come.

For those of you reading who haven’t been warned of this, or haven’t experienced it, I’m going to be frank with you. It turns out that finishing your PhD is actually one of the hardest parts of doing a goddamn PhD because when it goes – when this thing that has dominated your life for anywhere between three and six years just disappears, it leaves a hole that you will frantically try and fill (even though you have nothing to hand to fill it with, per se, because everything you have you’ve already given entirely to this PhD project – which is no longer even there). It’s a bitter, bitter moment that I truly believe most long-term students must experience.

But, though I waited, it didn’t come…

What did come was my Viva date: December 18th. Again – in case some of you reading don’t know already – a Viva is when your internal examiner and your external examiner get together and fling a shit-tonne of questions in your direction to see how well you can defend your thesis. It sounds more terrifying than it is – and I’m not just saying that to compensate for the wild sense of impending doom that I’ve described above. Even though your Viva is stressful and even though you put hours and hours of extra work into preparing for it, it’s actually… okay. I’m not going to go as far as enjoyable – because I would have happily accepted my pass via a nicely worded letter, rather than a face to face showdown – but it certainly wasn’t as bad as I had convinced myself it would be.

A few weeks before my Viva my supervisor and I had a frank and honest discussion about the weaknesses in my work, and we meticulously planned the ways in which I could prepare to defend these issues, when they were mentioned by one or both examiners. On the day itself, none of the topics that we had prepared for were mentioned – none of them! Let that be another lesson for you.

What did happen, to my utter bliss and delight, was that all of the information that I had been ferreting away in the back of my brain for the last three years came flooding out, and when they asked me a question, any question, I said:


 And not only was I ready, I was also convincing – because I passed, with minor amendments (although when edit came to shove, they didn’t feel that minor at all). Now, because my examiners were genuinely nice people, and because my Viva was a week to the day before Christmas, they extended my deadline for completing my amendments. This meant that instead of a handful of weeks, I instead had a handful of months (read: I had an even longer amount of time in which I could procrastinate). I eventually went back to my thesis a month before my amendments were due, and I quickly tumbled back into a rabbit hole of research and theories to the point that I was actually considering making changes that they hadn’t told me to make, all for the sake of shoehorning in these new theories that I’d found.

Instead of making more work for myself, I promised myself an hour a day where I would bit by bit deal with the seven issues that I needed to fix. I went through their recommendations, I did extra research, I tabbed up my thesis to within an of its life (and my own, I think) and then, my ‘hour a day’ turned into: I’m going to smash this out in an afternoon. I won’t lie and tell you it was that easy because it sure as hell wasn’t; it was five and a half hours of hair-pulling and argh-ing at my computer screen as I tried to work out how the hell I had ever sounded like an academic on paper, and how the hell I would ever match that tone again. It felt just like old times…

I submitted my amendments on a Friday morning – completed with a document that outlined each and every change, down to the page number, which I then coded into lined and underlined entries so my internal examiner could distinguish between the actual edits and the typographical ones (I hadn’t tabbed and highlighted and colour coded my way through this doctorate just to let things slide at the final hurdle). It took my examiner one weekend to read the changes – and I will never be able to express my authentic and genuine gratitude that he didn’t keep me waiting even longer – and first thing on the Monday morning after submitting my changes, I pulled up at work, checked my emails, and saw:

‘I am pleased to advise you that you have qualified for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy…’

I then went into the same students who had wished me luck on the morning of my Viva – bless their souls for remembering – and told them that it was official. And the panic started some time after that…

It isn’t a state of discontent or disappointment; I have no urge to do another PhD, although I have registered my interest for another Masters (that’s another post for another time), but there is definitely something – unsettling? The sense that something has gone, something has finished, and the more I consider it in this level of detail, the more I think that finishing a PhD might be something like finishing a long-term relationship with a partner that you’re still fond of, despite both of you knowing that you’ve come to the end of the line. There are no bad feelings – in fact, you even miss them sometimes, but you also know that it was time for both of you to part ways, and that when you look back fondly, you should never consider it as more than an enjoyable period of time which has now passed…

I’ve lost myself in that metaphor somewhere, but you get the idea.

So here I am, in the transition period which I thought had started some months ago but, on reflection, I think has probably only really started now. But, as is the case with all endings, something else is starting – has started already, even. And at least whatever happens next and whatever I do with this godforsaken PhD, I’ll be doing with DR printed on my bank card.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A rough-around-the-edges poem: Talk Me Down

I’m on the precipice of panic, I’ve said something and I can’t retract it and worse still you won’t let me. I’m on the cusp of begging you to forget me but you’ve already made it uncomfortably clear that no matter how near to the cliff face I feel, you’re not letting me go anywhere. And so I run. Wind in hair, feet pounding ground, I’m endeavouring to outrun light and sound but then you catch me by the collar just as my feet are about to become unbound. I’m on the edge of something now, inhaling sea air and as my lungs contract you try to pull me back in tact but I’m still wriggling against you. You can’t understand what I’m hiding from on the cliff top, why a long drop and a slow stop might seem more appealing that whatever these emotions are that I’m feeling, which should give you an idea of how itchy they make me, or maybe an idea of how few I’m showing and how many I’m really concealing. I can feel a world of love inside my che

The Diary of a Whatever I Am Now: Transition period.

Transition: 'the process or the period of changing from one state or condition to another'. I wanted to make this blog more of a regular thing once my PhD was over, for several reasons. Partly it’s just to log what happens next and this, in itself, is two-fold: I want to have some kind of documentation of this recovery process (yes, that’s what I’m calling it) that follows the PhD, but I also live in hope that someone who is struggling with having finished their PhD might find this blog some day, and breathe a hefty sigh on realising that the weird grief-cum-relief they’re feeling right now isn’t totally abnormal – in fact, it might even be quite common. I also want to get into the habit of writing more – something I’m encouraging my own students to do now and I hate giving out writing advice that I haven’t/am not taking myself, and so here we are. This is my first post as a Whatever I Am Now (because I still don’t have balls big enough to write The Diary of a Writer in th

I should(n't) be writing, right?

It’s been a little while since I wrote one of these things so let me catch you up: I’ve finished my PhD I’ve finished lecturing for this academic year I’m publishing my first poetry pamphlet in July (you can pre-order it here  if you feel in the mood to treat yourself) I’ve placed my debut novel with a publisher (Bloodhound Books, who are kind and sympathetic people to work with), and I’ve started writing another novel They’re the major blanks filled in – unless I’ve forgotten something, but we can always come back for a quick edit later. I’ve been exceptionally lucky so far this year; that’s my only real explanation for all of the above. After worrying ‘how I would top 2017’ – after submitting my thesis and publishing The Women You Were Warned About – 2018 has, in fact, been quite the beaut of a year so far. But, I digress! My main reason for coming back to this blog is that I have a new/different/changing relationship with writing at the moment, and