Skip to main content

Copycat: Second book fears, panic-writing, and plans for a sequel


When people ask me how I wrote Copycat, I have to explain to them the constant state of panic that I was in while I pulled this book together. Intention, my debut novel which was also published by Bloodhound Books, was a labour of love that lasted three years in total, and five years to the point that it was published. I wrote that book as part of my PhD programme, which also means that throughout those three years I had a great support network in place to get me through the process of writing a book. The reason behind the Copycat-panic then was that this would be the first novel I would write without someone holding me up, and those first steps to get the book together were nervous and wobbly ones to say the least.
            Copycat’s first draft came together in about two months. At the beginning and end of most days, I would sit down at my laptop and I would push and push until I managed a few hundred words at a time. I firmly believe that, whether you write a book fast or slow, whether you love it or when it’s a labour, there are just some days where writing comes easier than it does others. Copycat was no exception to that, especially on the days when I was writing well past midnight in order to get something finished. That said, I think part of my urgency in writing the novel – and part of the reason why I felt like I needed to push every day – was because a silly part of me really wondered whether I had another novel in me. Intention had taken so long and it had seen so many changes that I thought: Intention might be it; that might genuinely be all that I’ve got. So once I decided to start writing something new, and then once I’d decided to stick to what I was writing, I felt compelled to write the whole thing as quickly as I could through fear alone that I might lose the writing if I didn’t. It seems silly now that I think of it, but we writers can be a silly bunch.
            The one real wonder that I found in writing Copycat is that I knew exactly where the story was going. From the start of the novel, I already knew who the killer was and what their motivations were, and that was a kind of clarity that I’d never had before. Everything was always plotted out, if memory serves right, a good eight or ten chapters ahead which gave me a strong outline to follow. Whenever I was nearing the end of my to-write list, I’d take myself off to a coffee shop somewhere – the great cliché – and I’d work out the next direction that the story could move in, in order to arrive at the right ending. Melanie, Edd, and Chris turned out to be such strong characters for me personally that I could build a lot of things based on how they would act, and what they would think, and again that was a level of character-clarity that I hadn’t had before either (Intention’s protagonist is a female psychopath, so she was a touch harder to predict than the characters I was working with this time around).
            The characters themselves were wonderful fun to piece together and I thoroughly enjoyed being able to consider more than one backstory, in order to breathe life into the whole detective team. Prior to Copycat, I’d always sort of believed that I just wasn’t a detective-novel kind of writer – more fool me, as it turns out. Not only did I end up enjoying Copycat, but I enjoyed it to the point that I’m now working on a sequel that features the same loveable (I hope) detectives from the first book, tackling another unconventional case. The blend of human interest and quirky crime that’s allowed through detective fiction is something that I enjoy very much, as a reader and a writer now, and I can’t tell you how delighted I am that Copycat – my panic novel, of all things – is the book that’s introduced this new avenue of writing to me.
            For a debut detective novel, the book – and the wonderful Bloodhound editor that helped me whip it into shape – has taught me an awful lot about writing, editing, and then writing some more (as is usually the way). Although the main lesson to take away from this is that if you panic-write when the moment strikes, you might find a second (and third) novel tucked away somewhere after all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A rough-around-the-edges poem: Talk Me Down

I’m on the precipice of panic, I’ve said something and I can’t retract it and worse still you won’t let me. I’m on the cusp of begging you to forget me but you’ve already made it uncomfortably clear that no matter how near to the cliff face I feel, you’re not letting me go anywhere. And so I run. Wind in hair, feet pounding ground, I’m endeavouring to outrun light and sound but then you catch me by the collar just as my feet are about to become unbound. I’m on the edge of something now, inhaling sea air and as my lungs contract you try to pull me back in tact but I’m still wriggling against you. You can’t understand what I’m hiding from on the cliff top, why a long drop and a slow stop might seem more appealing that whatever these emotions are that I’m feeling, which should give you an idea of how itchy they make me, or maybe an idea of how few I’m showing and how many I’m really concealing. I can feel a world of love inside my che

The Diary of a Whatever I Am Now: Transition period.

Transition: 'the process or the period of changing from one state or condition to another'. I wanted to make this blog more of a regular thing once my PhD was over, for several reasons. Partly it’s just to log what happens next and this, in itself, is two-fold: I want to have some kind of documentation of this recovery process (yes, that’s what I’m calling it) that follows the PhD, but I also live in hope that someone who is struggling with having finished their PhD might find this blog some day, and breathe a hefty sigh on realising that the weird grief-cum-relief they’re feeling right now isn’t totally abnormal – in fact, it might even be quite common. I also want to get into the habit of writing more – something I’m encouraging my own students to do now and I hate giving out writing advice that I haven’t/am not taking myself, and so here we are. This is my first post as a Whatever I Am Now (because I still don’t have balls big enough to write The Diary of a Writer in th

I should(n't) be writing, right?

It’s been a little while since I wrote one of these things so let me catch you up: I’ve finished my PhD I’ve finished lecturing for this academic year I’m publishing my first poetry pamphlet in July (you can pre-order it here  if you feel in the mood to treat yourself) I’ve placed my debut novel with a publisher (Bloodhound Books, who are kind and sympathetic people to work with), and I’ve started writing another novel They’re the major blanks filled in – unless I’ve forgotten something, but we can always come back for a quick edit later. I’ve been exceptionally lucky so far this year; that’s my only real explanation for all of the above. After worrying ‘how I would top 2017’ – after submitting my thesis and publishing The Women You Were Warned About – 2018 has, in fact, been quite the beaut of a year so far. But, I digress! My main reason for coming back to this blog is that I have a new/different/changing relationship with writing at the moment, and