Skip to main content

NaNoWhyThough: 30 days, 50k words, lots of tea.

I am NaNoWriMo-ing this year. It’s my third year having a bash at what feels to me an utterly sadistic challenge, wherein you boil a complex and intricate process down to a month’s worth of writing, that only really secures months and months of editing in the aftermath. And yet, here I am, bashing out a story that I hadn’t planned to write – largely because I decided to join the NaNoWriMo bandwagon the day before the blessed event was due to start.

I first tried to do NaNoWriMo in the middle of my MA degree; massive mistake, lasted a few days, developed a semi-decent character only to abandon the poor man and never write him again. The second time was last year; I was in the final year of my PhD (brilliant timing, yes, okay) and the horrendous editing for that had left me with creative energy to burn. I wrote every day, averaging at around 1700 words a pop, and I had a short story collection by the end of it.

This year, I am writing a thing. I don’t want to use the word novel because it feels far too serious for what I’m writing – so we’ll stick with thing. It’s a story about the disintegration of a marriage and how the smallest of incidents can cause the biggest of emotional crashes. It’s silly at times and over-written at others; the plot needs work as do my characters because I think one or both or them have come across as severely unhinged at one time or another. But I’m writing – nay, I’m enjoying writing, and frankly, it’s been a while since I could say that…

I had planned for an impassioned speech about the beauty of writing for the sake of writing, and how merely engaging in the artistic practice of putting words to paper was reward enough to engage in this painstaking month of key-smashing and tea-drinking like there’s no tomorrow. But I’m off the back of a writing session where I threw down just shy of 1800 words (after throwing down just shy of 3500 words yesterday) and, to be honest, I’m lacking in decent imagery. What I will say is this: NaNoWriMo makes me write like a writer. I wish I could I say that I write every day but I don’t; what I do do, though, is make sure I am meeting my overall word count by the end of the week. I think about the project daily and I work to get words down, even when those words feel like teeth being yanked from rotten gums (see, I told you I was lacking decent imagery). And that alone, to me, makes this seem like a worthwhile endeavour. If I have something that resembles the first draft of a story by the end of this sorry month, then that’s a total bonus.

I have read articles coming down hard against NaNoWriMo. On the flip side, I have read articles that propose those who criticise the NaNoWriMo process are doing so simply because it bastardises the mysticism of writing. It may be some feel that in ‘writing a novel in a month’ (which, I hasten to add, is a fast and loose way of describing what I’m doing right now) we are disregarding the craft, and skill, and whatever else goes into writing a book. While I half-understand that school of thought, I have to point out that while NaNoWriMo might promote fast-as-hell writing, it leads to hard-as-hell editing, so let’s not be too quick to discredit the skill that’s actually going into this work. Maybe NaNoWriMo just calls for – or rather, helps us practice – a different skill set to conventional writing habits, if such a thing as conventional writing habits even exist.

There are so many ways to argue for and against this project, but a few facts remain, and they’re facts worth remembering: NaNoWriMo encourages people to write, it maintains a worldwide community of writers, and it promotes something that day-to-day writers always wish people would show more of an interest in (that being, writing). There are people out there right now – like this very second, as you’re reading this – who are purging words like their lives depend on it, and regardless of whether they have a bestseller or not at the end of it, I absolutely salute their efforts, their determination, and their guts. 

To them, I say: Write on!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I should(n't) be writing, right?

It’s been a little while since I wrote one of these things so let me catch you up: I’ve finished my PhD I’ve finished lecturing for this academic year I’m publishing my first poetry pamphlet in July (you can pre-order it here  if you feel in the mood to treat yourself) I’ve placed my debut novel with a publisher (Bloodhound Books, who are kind and sympathetic people to work with), and I’ve started writing another novel They’re the major blanks filled in – unless I’ve forgotten something, but we can always come back for a quick edit later. I’ve been exceptionally lucky so far this year; that’s my only real explanation for all of the above. After worrying ‘how I would top 2017’ – after submitting my thesis and publishing The Women You Were Warned About – 2018 has, in fact, been quite the beaut of a year so far. But, I digress! My main reason for coming back to this blog is that I have a new/different/changing relationship with writing at the moment, and

Copycat: Second book fears, panic-writing, and plans for a sequel

When people ask me how I wrote Copycat , I have to explain to them the constant state of panic that I was in while I pulled this book together. Intention , my debut novel which was also published by Bloodhound Books, was a labour of love that lasted three years in total, and five years to the point that it was published. I wrote that book as part of my PhD programme, which also means that throughout those three years I had a great support network in place to get me through the process of writing a book. The reason behind the Copycat -panic then was that this would be the first novel I would write without someone holding me up, and those first steps to get the book together were nervous and wobbly ones to say the least.             Copycat ’s  first draft came together in about two months. At the beginning and end of most days, I would sit down at my laptop and I would push and push until I managed a few hundred words at a time. I firmly believe that, whether you write a book fast

Love and the psychopath: the Daniel and Gillian story (Intention, Bloodhound Books)

Book blurb: When twenty-two-year-old Gillian Thompson returns from university for the summer, it is apparent there is tension at home. An irritant to her father and a concern to her mother, Gillian’s home life is less than ideal. Geraldine, Gillian’s mother, has suffered abuse from Joe for years. However, it is not until Joe dies that the family dynamic shifts and Gillian starts out on her own dark journey… When Gillian meets Paul and Daniel she starts to become the person she always knew she was. And as people around her start dying Gillian faces scrutiny from her mother.  But are the deaths accidents or is something more sinister at work? C.S. Barnes'  Intention  is set to be one of 2019's stand-out debuts. A dark and compelling psychological thriller, it will appeal to fans of authors like; Lisa Jewell, S.E. Lynes, Theresa Driscoll. Love and the psychopath: the Daniel and Gillian story Gillian was always a difficult protagonist to love, bu