Skip to main content

The Diary of a PhD Student: Wait, is that a finish line?

As of about half an hour ago, my PhD novel is with a wonderful collective of beta readers, and my PhD research paper – the second draft – is in the email inbox of my supervisor.

Boom.


I’d like to take a second here to thank all of the amazing people who offered to read the book. I put a call-out online and it didn’t for a second cross my mind that so many people would offer their time and patience towards reading this project. So many people offered, in fact, that I’ve had to turn people down and only send it to a select few – which has broken my heart a bit, I won’t lie. When the list of possible readers was edging close to twenty, I panicked and emailed my supervisor:

‘Bizarre question: How many readers is too many readers?’

It felt like I was giving him a riddle, but he understood the concern:

‘You don’t want more feedback than you can handle at this stage, and different people will approach the text differently. Maybe one or two for thing, one or two for another.’

Try as I might, I couldn’t justify sending the book to twenty-three people after that; he did, after all, have a point. Whatever people find, I have a limited amount of time to fix. Plus – and it will always happen, no matter how many or how few – one reader will love one thing that another one hates, and then starts the horrendous battle of trying to keep everyone happy without compromising your own vision for the project. So the book is with a handful of people – at the moment – and when and if the time comes when I can handle more readers (probably some time after the PhD, but before I approach an agent), then I will go cap in hand to everyone who previously offered with a decidedly buttery email where I beg them to still be interested in my work – if you’re one of these people, then you can brace yourself for that.

So that’s that. Work is sent out, and now all I have to do is sit around and wait for feedback. I have a little bit of time to myself – for the first time in a while – and, typically, it took me about five minutes to start panicking about that!


To clarify, I’m not panicking because I don’t have any work to do (okay maybe I am, a little); I’m panicking because I’ve done all of the work that I feel I can do. The book – despite my knowing that there are still minor issues with it – is in a place now where I cannot work on it anymore without external help – hence the readers. Similarly, the research paper is in a place where I need my supervisor to check over all of five comment boxes – most of which relate to comments he made that my small mind doesn’t understand – and beyond that, I need him to read it through again and tell me where we’re at. Because I’m spent. I’ve looked for problems as far as my own eyes can see and, while I know they’re there, I still can’t spot them. I have literally maxed out my own input – for the time being. When feedback starts rolling in, then it will be a different matter.

Now, here’s my second point of panic: Things are wrapping up.

Sure, my research paper needs another draft – maybe even another two; the book needs a tidy up, if not a little more than a tidy up, depending on how people react to it. But we’re in the final stages now. I wish I played sports so I could give you a touchdown analogy!  The bottom line is that I’m weeks away from submitting this thing. My internal and external examiners have both been confirmed in the last week – and a massive hooray for that, please – and both parts of my project are in the best places that they’ve been in (God, wouldn’t it be terrible if the readers found a thousand things wrong with the book and it turned out to not actually be nearly-finished at all?). So yes, things are wrapping up. Paperwork is being filed and deadlines are being set and the bottom line is, I’m coming very close to the end of something that a big part of me doubted whether I’d actually finish.

And there it is.

I’m not the first person to feel like this – in fact, I’m quietly confident that if you were to track the emotional journey of a PhD student, this near-climax is probably a completely natural occurrence, but it’s still one that I felt it was worth documenting. In the three years that I have been doing this, I’ve never really thought about it being over. When people ask about what happens next, I usually say something like:

‘No idea. I’ve only done this so I can put Dr on my credit card; I’m not sure what else I can do with it!’

And then people usually laugh and talk about how cool it is that I’ll be a ‘Doctor’ (‘Of books,’ I flatly remind them) and the future is forgotten. But the future isn’t three years away anymore; it’s not even three months (I’m still not telling you my hand-in date). I’m panicking, rightly so, I think, but I’m also thinking: Isn’t this kind of nice? I’ve worked pretty hard – hardly a surprise, it’s a PhD after all – and there’s some pretty hard work to go – again, hardly a surprise – but I can see the finish line. Sure, I’m low on supplies and energy, and I’ll probably sit down and cry a bit between now and when I make it to line itself, but it’s there alright – within touching distance (so close that the next time I panic and throw my toys out of the pram, one of them pay actually pass the line before me).

I don’t have anything to do now (that’s a lie; there’s always something, I just haven’t worked out what it is yet). So I’m going to make tea and read – The Girl With The Clock For A Heart by Peter Swanson, if you’re interested – and then I’m going to go out for a little bit. I haven’t decided where yet; I’ll work it out on the way.

Thank you for reading this; thank you to the people reading my book; thank you to the people who have consistently read my grumbles (don’t worry, there are more to come).

And brace yourselves for when the reader feedback starts coming in... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A rough-around-the-edges poem: Talk Me Down

I’m on the precipice of panic, I’ve said something and I can’t retract it and worse still you won’t let me. I’m on the cusp of begging you to forget me but you’ve already made it uncomfortably clear that no matter how near to the cliff face I feel, you’re not letting me go anywhere. And so I run. Wind in hair, feet pounding ground, I’m endeavouring to outrun light and sound but then you catch me by the collar just as my feet are about to become unbound. I’m on the edge of something now, inhaling sea air and as my lungs contract you try to pull me back in tact but I’m still wriggling against you. You can’t understand what I’m hiding from on the cliff top, why a long drop and a slow stop might seem more appealing that whatever these emotions are that I’m feeling, which should give you an idea of how itchy they make me, or maybe an idea of how few I’m showing and how many I’m really concealing. I can feel a world of love inside my che

The Diary of a Whatever I Am Now: Transition period.

Transition: 'the process or the period of changing from one state or condition to another'. I wanted to make this blog more of a regular thing once my PhD was over, for several reasons. Partly it’s just to log what happens next and this, in itself, is two-fold: I want to have some kind of documentation of this recovery process (yes, that’s what I’m calling it) that follows the PhD, but I also live in hope that someone who is struggling with having finished their PhD might find this blog some day, and breathe a hefty sigh on realising that the weird grief-cum-relief they’re feeling right now isn’t totally abnormal – in fact, it might even be quite common. I also want to get into the habit of writing more – something I’m encouraging my own students to do now and I hate giving out writing advice that I haven’t/am not taking myself, and so here we are. This is my first post as a Whatever I Am Now (because I still don’t have balls big enough to write The Diary of a Writer in th

I should(n't) be writing, right?

It’s been a little while since I wrote one of these things so let me catch you up: I’ve finished my PhD I’ve finished lecturing for this academic year I’m publishing my first poetry pamphlet in July (you can pre-order it here  if you feel in the mood to treat yourself) I’ve placed my debut novel with a publisher (Bloodhound Books, who are kind and sympathetic people to work with), and I’ve started writing another novel They’re the major blanks filled in – unless I’ve forgotten something, but we can always come back for a quick edit later. I’ve been exceptionally lucky so far this year; that’s my only real explanation for all of the above. After worrying ‘how I would top 2017’ – after submitting my thesis and publishing The Women You Were Warned About – 2018 has, in fact, been quite the beaut of a year so far. But, I digress! My main reason for coming back to this blog is that I have a new/different/changing relationship with writing at the moment, and