Skip to main content

The Diary of a PhD Student: If Ph-Wotsits were easy...

Reader, I have been struggling. I am making literary allusions there – I hope you’ve noticed – although realistically over recent months I have been less Jane Eyre and more mad woman in the attic. 


Don't worry -- I don't really mean that kind of mad. Although, what I have recently done to my research paper is not entirely dissimilar to what Kathy Bates did to that chap's foot in Misery.

The last time I updated this I was at the beginning of my research paper; now, I’m at the end. The end of my first draft, that is – let’s not make it sound more important than it actually is – but it’s a first draft that I didn’t have in February. And it’s a first draft that I have polished, chopped ten pages from in line edits alone, and now booted off to my supervisor so he can tell me all the things I’ve done wrong.

I sound resentful towards him; I’m not. The man is an editorial God and I am grateful for his input. But I am also desperate for the day when he tells me that something – ANYTHING – that I have written is finished.

So, what have you missed? Around 25,000 words. I overshot the word count for my research paper on account of having undershot the word count for my PhD novel – but that’s a boat load of university protocol that I’ll deal with in four months when I actually hand my thesis in. God/supervisor only knows how many times the word counts of each element will change between now and The End.

So, what made me the mad woman in the attic? Life meets PhD, meets life, meets health problems, meets work. Reader, I am – tired. But I am grateful to have a break from the research paper now – even if that break signals me going back to the novel, for what I hope will be a fourth and final draft.

‘It’ll be good for you, I think, to go back to it again,’ said my Supervisor.

Nervous laughter, said I in response.

‘No, really. You’ve been working on the critical, in a research headspace; it will be good for you to do something more creative for a while.’

He’s probably not wrong.

Reality check: When in the history of my PhD has my supervisor actually been wrong about what I need? Honestly, if I am taking anything away from these three years it is that there are times in life when you need to shut up and soak up the knowledge of those infinitely wiser than yourself – which he is, and which I have done, albeit begrudgingly at times.

I haven’t actually looked at the novel yet. But I have taken it out of my desk drawer and looked at the to-do list on the front of it. Which, incidentally, is around double the length that I can actually remember it being. But that’s fine. Totally fine. And I’m not worried. I’m not! Because everyone keeps telling me what a good place I’m in and how I’m closing in on the end and I’m in really good shape and...

It’s hard to believe a goddamn word of it when I’ve got I don’t know how many drafts of my research paper to go, and another draft of a novel that I’ve already redrafted three times still to do.

But I’m doing this thing right now where I try to believe what people tell me...

‘You’re on the homestretch, I hear!’ one lecturer said to me recently. And in the grand scheme of things, I am. Even if the homestretch is a bloody difficult place to be.

‘But if it was easy, Charlotte, everyone would have a Ph-wotsit wouldn’t they?’ said my grandmother. I’m starting to feel a little bit like she says this every time I see her at the moment; which may be because every time I see her she asks how my work is going and every time I say something like: ‘Oh, it’s okay. Hard work, at the moment, but I’m getting there.’

I think when you’re in something for the long-haul – whether it’s writing, or painting, or training for a job that you really want, despite the grunt work you’ll have to do to get there – I think this is exactly what you need to remember: If it were easy, everyone would be doing it. I don’t want to start this debate about things we’re inherently inclined towards, or born into – whether I was destined to try to be a writer while my sister was always going to sell her soul to numbers – but whether you’ve always wanted to do something or whether you feel you were born to, the hard work it takes to get there is a testimony, I think, to your ability to do that job, thing, whatever, in the first place.

I know, I’m getting a bit Jerry-Springer-final-thought here, but don’t I always at some point?

Bottom-line: Whatever you’re doing, it’s bloody hard work some days, and you’re allowed to hate it some days – hell, there are days when you’re allowed to flat out say that you’re not even going to bother doing it anymore because rage-quitting is as much a part of the process as all of the other stuff that you’ve got to go through to get there.


I am in alright shape. I’m tired, and I desperately need some time away from my PhD right now. But I have novel to finish and a research paper to redraft – because before I know it, it’ll all be over. And I’ll have done exactly what I set out to do – because I’m on the homestretch, and I’m in alright shape, and if it were easy --

So on, and so forth...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A rough-around-the-edges poem: Talk Me Down

I’m on the precipice of panic, I’ve said something and I can’t retract it and worse still you won’t let me. I’m on the cusp of begging you to forget me but you’ve already made it uncomfortably clear that no matter how near to the cliff face I feel, you’re not letting me go anywhere. And so I run. Wind in hair, feet pounding ground, I’m endeavouring to outrun light and sound but then you catch me by the collar just as my feet are about to become unbound. I’m on the edge of something now, inhaling sea air and as my lungs contract you try to pull me back in tact but I’m still wriggling against you. You can’t understand what I’m hiding from on the cliff top, why a long drop and a slow stop might seem more appealing that whatever these emotions are that I’m feeling, which should give you an idea of how itchy they make me, or maybe an idea of how few I’m showing and how many I’m really concealing. I can feel a world of love inside my che

The Diary of a Whatever I Am Now: Transition period.

Transition: 'the process or the period of changing from one state or condition to another'. I wanted to make this blog more of a regular thing once my PhD was over, for several reasons. Partly it’s just to log what happens next and this, in itself, is two-fold: I want to have some kind of documentation of this recovery process (yes, that’s what I’m calling it) that follows the PhD, but I also live in hope that someone who is struggling with having finished their PhD might find this blog some day, and breathe a hefty sigh on realising that the weird grief-cum-relief they’re feeling right now isn’t totally abnormal – in fact, it might even be quite common. I also want to get into the habit of writing more – something I’m encouraging my own students to do now and I hate giving out writing advice that I haven’t/am not taking myself, and so here we are. This is my first post as a Whatever I Am Now (because I still don’t have balls big enough to write The Diary of a Writer in th

I should(n't) be writing, right?

It’s been a little while since I wrote one of these things so let me catch you up: I’ve finished my PhD I’ve finished lecturing for this academic year I’m publishing my first poetry pamphlet in July (you can pre-order it here  if you feel in the mood to treat yourself) I’ve placed my debut novel with a publisher (Bloodhound Books, who are kind and sympathetic people to work with), and I’ve started writing another novel They’re the major blanks filled in – unless I’ve forgotten something, but we can always come back for a quick edit later. I’ve been exceptionally lucky so far this year; that’s my only real explanation for all of the above. After worrying ‘how I would top 2017’ – after submitting my thesis and publishing The Women You Were Warned About – 2018 has, in fact, been quite the beaut of a year so far. But, I digress! My main reason for coming back to this blog is that I have a new/different/changing relationship with writing at the moment, and