Skip to main content

The Diary of a PhD Student: Third draft. No big deal. Totally calm.

I just emailed the third draft of my creative thesis to my primary and secondary supervisors, two friends from my PhD cohort, and I’ve uploaded a draft to my Kindle for my other half to read.


I’ve hit upon the usual feelings that you face when finishing and distributing a new draft, I think. Blind panic, genuine disbelief, and this horrendous, horrendous feeling of waking up in the morning and simply not knowing what to do with my time (the answer, of course, is go back to researching my critical accompaniment, but we’ll just leave a pin in that for now). The drafting process has been troublesome up to this point – as regular readers of these self-indulgent rants will already know – although I have developed a divide and conquer approach to editing that has carried me through with minimal discomfort (or maybe that’s hindsight softening the pain). The third draft, though, well that’s been a different beast altogether.

In turns out that the reason the third draft has been such a pain – not in terms of editing it, but in terms of admitting that it’s finished – is because it’s actually a book now. A living, breathing book that some people might like to read. And I had sort of convinced myself that that wasn’t true at all, until my most recent chat with my primary supervisor (which is, as history shows, when I have my biggest moments of realisation).

Him: We’ll discuss it after Christmas but we can probably leave it and focus on the critical more so for now.
Me: Okay.
Him: How do you feel about the third draft?
Me: Okay, I think. I feel like there’s less to do this time around which is hugely encouraging.
Him: Well, it is a book now. With a plot and characters and all the rest of it; you’re probably just a tidy up away from calling it a day. The fourth draft shouldn’t need much.

My instant thought was that he must be wrong – and the thought of admitting that he wasn’t wrong absolutely terrified me. As I was moving through the third draft I was actually looking for things that I would change in a fourth because – and whether this is writing related or PhD related, I can’t say – I was convinced that this project just wouldn’t be over. I’m a term into my final year, though. Nevermind the project; the PhD is nearly over! And if I think about that for long enough then I’ll give way to an entirely different wave of panic, I know, so let’s not linger. 

The point of this is that the third draft that seemed a hell of a long way off at the start of this year is now here, sitting in people’s inboxes, waiting to be read. It is, all being well, a draft away from being sent out to agents. And for my moans and my grumbles, past and future – because we all know that I am definitely not finished with moaning about this damn thing – I will hand on heart miss this book and this experience.

My second supervisor caught up with me recently – which was a joy because my PhD is in a much better state than it was the last time that I saw her – and she said:

‘Enjoy the next few months, especially with the research, because as a novelist, you’ll never get time like this again. You’re going to read stuff and you’ll realise where your book sits, and it’ll be a great feeling to see this body of work that you’re lining up with.’

And she’s absolutely right.

So yes, writing is the hardest thing ever, and my PhD is probably the biggest emotional/financial/creative investment that I will make in my entire life – but my word, what a blast it's turning out to be. To have this thing – this random, surprising, and eyebrow-raising thing – that I know a fair bit about, and that I rant about, and get passionate about. To have this thing that my little brain is this enthused by. How lucky am I to have that?

Assuming that I pass the PhD, you know, because that might not actually happen. But still!

So while this positivity lasts, I’m going to enjoy my PhD as much as I can. The research panic will hit and I will convince myself over the coming weeks that I have no idea what my critical piece is going to be about – so you can look forward to that panicked post, probably just after the Christmas period – but until then, I’m going to drink a lot of tea, and eat a lot of mince pies, and read a lot of books.


And I'll worry about my research paper when I actually have to start writing it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A rough-around-the-edges poem: Talk Me Down

I’m on the precipice of panic, I’ve said something and I can’t retract it and worse still you won’t let me. I’m on the cusp of begging you to forget me but you’ve already made it uncomfortably clear that no matter how near to the cliff face I feel, you’re not letting me go anywhere. And so I run. Wind in hair, feet pounding ground, I’m endeavouring to outrun light and sound but then you catch me by the collar just as my feet are about to become unbound. I’m on the edge of something now, inhaling sea air and as my lungs contract you try to pull me back in tact but I’m still wriggling against you. You can’t understand what I’m hiding from on the cliff top, why a long drop and a slow stop might seem more appealing that whatever these emotions are that I’m feeling, which should give you an idea of how itchy they make me, or maybe an idea of how few I’m showing and how many I’m really concealing. I can feel a world of love inside my che

The Diary of a Whatever I Am Now: Transition period.

Transition: 'the process or the period of changing from one state or condition to another'. I wanted to make this blog more of a regular thing once my PhD was over, for several reasons. Partly it’s just to log what happens next and this, in itself, is two-fold: I want to have some kind of documentation of this recovery process (yes, that’s what I’m calling it) that follows the PhD, but I also live in hope that someone who is struggling with having finished their PhD might find this blog some day, and breathe a hefty sigh on realising that the weird grief-cum-relief they’re feeling right now isn’t totally abnormal – in fact, it might even be quite common. I also want to get into the habit of writing more – something I’m encouraging my own students to do now and I hate giving out writing advice that I haven’t/am not taking myself, and so here we are. This is my first post as a Whatever I Am Now (because I still don’t have balls big enough to write The Diary of a Writer in th

I should(n't) be writing, right?

It’s been a little while since I wrote one of these things so let me catch you up: I’ve finished my PhD I’ve finished lecturing for this academic year I’m publishing my first poetry pamphlet in July (you can pre-order it here  if you feel in the mood to treat yourself) I’ve placed my debut novel with a publisher (Bloodhound Books, who are kind and sympathetic people to work with), and I’ve started writing another novel They’re the major blanks filled in – unless I’ve forgotten something, but we can always come back for a quick edit later. I’ve been exceptionally lucky so far this year; that’s my only real explanation for all of the above. After worrying ‘how I would top 2017’ – after submitting my thesis and publishing The Women You Were Warned About – 2018 has, in fact, been quite the beaut of a year so far. But, I digress! My main reason for coming back to this blog is that I have a new/different/changing relationship with writing at the moment, and