Skip to main content

The Diary of a PhD Student: From one extreme to the other!

Some basic facts...
  • The creative element of my PhD thesis needs to be 80,000 words.
  • The first draft of my creative element was just over 94,000 words.
  • The advice that followed this was, naturally, to be harsh on myself with line edits and general edits that would shape the second draft of the manuscript, and would subsequently lower the word count of the book as a whole.


And the final fun fact...
  • My second draft is now 18,500 words shy of the length that it needs to be.

I have simultaneously taken one step forward and nearly 20,000 steps back and so I’m doing the only logical thing I can think to do at this stage – I’m walking away. Hands flat and raised, panic at a steady rise, I have ‘finished’ the first round of the second draft of my manuscript and I am backing away slowly, for at least a week, maybe even longer. So for anyone who follows me on one social media channel or another, if you see anything to suggest that I’m tinkering with that damn book again, you have full permission to slap the manuscript from my hands and have a stern word with me, because I’ll probably need/deserve/appreciate it. 


To clarify! I’m all too aware that this is part of the process. We write and we cut and we lather, rinse, repeat that process until the book is a completely different book to the one we started with and – see, I know this as well – we are often left with a better book at the end of this. My second draft, despite being horrendously short on the old word count front, is already a more polished product – significantly so, I would say – than my first draft was, and so even though there is still some distance left to travel, I at least know that I’m making the journey in a better car... Or something to that effect. 

Part way between a grumble and a panic, I hoped that when I actually typed these thoughts and feelings out they may manifest as something remotely useful to other people. I suppose, in a last ditch effort to tick that box, I’ll share an anecdote with you.

My supervisor – God-like creative writing mentor that that man is (apologies if you’re reading this and now feeling wildly uncomfortable) – once saw me take a hit on some feedback. It was a group session and I got the most mixed reaction from my peers that I think I’d had up to that point and so, blinded by panic, I stayed behind to have a quiet word with my supervisor...

‘Should I be panicking?’ I said.

‘Why, are you?’

‘A little.’

He sighed.

‘Sit down, we’ll talk.’

I sat. He talked.

‘You’re having an emotional reaction to the feedback right now.’

I remember being irked by this, which is perhaps evidence in favour of exactly how emotional I was actually being about it all at the time.

‘What you need is to let this simmer, sleep on it, and come back to it minus the emotion.’

Since this conversation, I have lost track of the amount of times I have used the phrase, ‘I’m just having an emotional reaction to this, that’s all.’ And nine times out of ten, when the emotion settles and I’m left with cold hard logic, I manage to pull things around – on the occasions when I don’t, though, my supervisor usually gets a panicked email and then we pull things around together. 

And so while my second draft is significantly shorter than I hoped it would be, and while shorter, in this instance, translates to nearly 20,000 words shy, I am very aware that this surge that I’m feeling – this blind, raging, undying sense of dread and panic in the face of the above facts – is just an emotional reaction. Logically, though, I already know that I’ll be fine. Logically, I’ll find those words and more, and in six months time I’ll be writing a blog post about what an indisputable nightmare it is to be cutting down my word count – again. Logically, I will respond and remedy this problem.

 But – also logically – I know I won’t do that this week. And that’s alright. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A rough-around-the-edges poem: Talk Me Down

I’m on the precipice of panic, I’ve said something and I can’t retract it and worse still you won’t let me. I’m on the cusp of begging you to forget me but you’ve already made it uncomfortably clear that no matter how near to the cliff face I feel, you’re not letting me go anywhere. And so I run. Wind in hair, feet pounding ground, I’m endeavouring to outrun light and sound but then you catch me by the collar just as my feet are about to become unbound. I’m on the edge of something now, inhaling sea air and as my lungs contract you try to pull me back in tact but I’m still wriggling against you. You can’t understand what I’m hiding from on the cliff top, why a long drop and a slow stop might seem more appealing that whatever these emotions are that I’m feeling, which should give you an idea of how itchy they make me, or maybe an idea of how few I’m showing and how many I’m really concealing. I can feel a world of love inside my che

The Diary of a Whatever I Am Now: Transition period.

Transition: 'the process or the period of changing from one state or condition to another'. I wanted to make this blog more of a regular thing once my PhD was over, for several reasons. Partly it’s just to log what happens next and this, in itself, is two-fold: I want to have some kind of documentation of this recovery process (yes, that’s what I’m calling it) that follows the PhD, but I also live in hope that someone who is struggling with having finished their PhD might find this blog some day, and breathe a hefty sigh on realising that the weird grief-cum-relief they’re feeling right now isn’t totally abnormal – in fact, it might even be quite common. I also want to get into the habit of writing more – something I’m encouraging my own students to do now and I hate giving out writing advice that I haven’t/am not taking myself, and so here we are. This is my first post as a Whatever I Am Now (because I still don’t have balls big enough to write The Diary of a Writer in th

I should(n't) be writing, right?

It’s been a little while since I wrote one of these things so let me catch you up: I’ve finished my PhD I’ve finished lecturing for this academic year I’m publishing my first poetry pamphlet in July (you can pre-order it here  if you feel in the mood to treat yourself) I’ve placed my debut novel with a publisher (Bloodhound Books, who are kind and sympathetic people to work with), and I’ve started writing another novel They’re the major blanks filled in – unless I’ve forgotten something, but we can always come back for a quick edit later. I’ve been exceptionally lucky so far this year; that’s my only real explanation for all of the above. After worrying ‘how I would top 2017’ – after submitting my thesis and publishing The Women You Were Warned About – 2018 has, in fact, been quite the beaut of a year so far. But, I digress! My main reason for coming back to this blog is that I have a new/different/changing relationship with writing at the moment, and