Skip to main content

The Diary of a PhD Student: Pulling my book apart...

Two posts in two weeks; it’s almost, almost, like I’m getting a better hang on this blogging thing. Or perhaps the more likely explanation is that I need somewhere to hang my editorial woes and, given that my characters have taken over much of my dining room at present – I’ll explain that part in a second – the internet seems like the best place to air this writerly laundry.

It’s Monday morning. The sun is coming in through the open doors behind me and I have a cup of tea sitting to the left of me. Over the weekend I completed a ‘tidy up’ of my book which has left me in a reasonably good position to start the next round of edits. On the topic of that next round of edits: I actually have a plan in place. A real, ordered, seems-totally-feasible-to-edit-a-book this way plan.
‘What’s the catch?’ you ask. I’ll let you know when I find it. For now, though, my dining room is quickly turning into a physical representation of what the inside of my head looks like – maybe that’s the catch? – as I set about hanging timelines, revised timelines, and character sketches on every flat and upright surface. It might sound a little odd but – and this is the real point of this post – for now, it is really working.

Last week I made up a chapter timeline of my book, as it stands in the first draft, where I plotted each chapter alongside a sentence or phrase to indicate what happens in that chapter. And holy cow, a lot of my chapters are doing the same things as each other. After some colour coding – oh yes, I’m going all out for this – where protagonist/mother conversations were highlighted in one colour, and protagonist/love interest conversations were highlighted in another, I realised that the whole damn book belongs more to these conversations than it does to anything else. Hello first point of editing!

That timeline now hangs in front of me – pinned to the back of my dining room door – as I write this post, and beneath it there sits a (tentative) attempt at a revised timeline for how I would like to shape the second draft. These two will soon be joined by character maps – but I’ll let you know how that actually works out in the next post. Already, though, these two timelines have allowed me to cut protagonist/mother conversations (an embarrassing FOURTEEN of these chapters appeared in my first draft – what the hell?) down to four – that’s right, I’ve managed to space save on ten chapters – in my proposal for a second draft. Alright, in practice it may not work out that way, but if nothing else this has at least opened my eyes to some serious issues from the first draft – which is surely the point of editing?

From here I’ll be printing a copy of my clean manuscript – again – and going through those fourteen chapters – and the other repetitive ones, of which there are many – to cannibalise their best bits and feed those into the re-drafted/re-written four chapters that will take up the book in the second draft, and I’ll do this again for the protagonist/love interest chapters, and probably for the protagonist/victim chapters as well – another element of the book getting a complete overhaul in the coming weeks.

When I pitched this idea to a friend yesterday he said, ‘Well, that’s not how I’d edit it, but okay.’

‘Okay, non-writer-friend,’ I said. ‘And how would you edit it?’

He paused, considered, and then said: ‘I have no idea.’


It might not work – specifically, it might not work for everyone – but it’s the first serious attempt I’m making at a real, working, editorial process for the book. Whether it will last until the end of this project, who’s to know? For now, though, my writing process has given way to an editing process – and there is, praise heavens, much more writing to be done after this – so we’re making a start, at least, brick by editorial brick. 

Comments

  1. Charley it's Henry - good job here! My blog got started and is mostly neglected. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A rough-around-the-edges poem: Talk Me Down

I’m on the precipice of panic, I’ve said something and I can’t retract it and worse still you won’t let me. I’m on the cusp of begging you to forget me but you’ve already made it uncomfortably clear that no matter how near to the cliff face I feel, you’re not letting me go anywhere. And so I run. Wind in hair, feet pounding ground, I’m endeavouring to outrun light and sound but then you catch me by the collar just as my feet are about to become unbound. I’m on the edge of something now, inhaling sea air and as my lungs contract you try to pull me back in tact but I’m still wriggling against you. You can’t understand what I’m hiding from on the cliff top, why a long drop and a slow stop might seem more appealing that whatever these emotions are that I’m feeling, which should give you an idea of how itchy they make me, or maybe an idea of how few I’m showing and how many I’m really concealing. I can feel a world of love inside my che

The Diary of a Whatever I Am Now: Transition period.

Transition: 'the process or the period of changing from one state or condition to another'. I wanted to make this blog more of a regular thing once my PhD was over, for several reasons. Partly it’s just to log what happens next and this, in itself, is two-fold: I want to have some kind of documentation of this recovery process (yes, that’s what I’m calling it) that follows the PhD, but I also live in hope that someone who is struggling with having finished their PhD might find this blog some day, and breathe a hefty sigh on realising that the weird grief-cum-relief they’re feeling right now isn’t totally abnormal – in fact, it might even be quite common. I also want to get into the habit of writing more – something I’m encouraging my own students to do now and I hate giving out writing advice that I haven’t/am not taking myself, and so here we are. This is my first post as a Whatever I Am Now (because I still don’t have balls big enough to write The Diary of a Writer in th

I should(n't) be writing, right?

It’s been a little while since I wrote one of these things so let me catch you up: I’ve finished my PhD I’ve finished lecturing for this academic year I’m publishing my first poetry pamphlet in July (you can pre-order it here  if you feel in the mood to treat yourself) I’ve placed my debut novel with a publisher (Bloodhound Books, who are kind and sympathetic people to work with), and I’ve started writing another novel They’re the major blanks filled in – unless I’ve forgotten something, but we can always come back for a quick edit later. I’ve been exceptionally lucky so far this year; that’s my only real explanation for all of the above. After worrying ‘how I would top 2017’ – after submitting my thesis and publishing The Women You Were Warned About – 2018 has, in fact, been quite the beaut of a year so far. But, I digress! My main reason for coming back to this blog is that I have a new/different/changing relationship with writing at the moment, and