Skip to main content

The Diary of a PhD Student: The Dreaded First Edit

Before I go ahead and open heart into this blog post, I feel that I should add a small disclaimer here where I praise the bones of my two supervisors who have, throughout my degree so far, been life-savers for myself and my project. They have taken time and given thought and I’m absurdly grateful to both of them for what they’ve already done, and what they will continue to do over the next 18 months.

That being said, nothing that my supervisors can do will silence the panicked process that I have now come to accept as simply being: The way I edit things.

One Monday I had a joint supervision session with both supervisors as a follow-up to my first draft, which they had both read and scrutinised ahead of this meeting. My second supervisor had not only read the whole manuscript but had also annotated the whole thing, giving me a coversheet with comprehensive notes about the whole book and specific comments scribbled on the pages that followed. It was wonderful, it really was. They both talked through issues with me – none of which were things I disagreed with – and, after a decent chunk of time away from the book, I actually left this session feeling – wait for it – quite excited (!) by the prospect of returning to my project. I would be writing again, and I would be working towards a second draft which would, will, be much cleaner than the first, and I even felt in a good frame of mind to tackle this ‘butchery’ that my supervisors had warned me was an inevitable part of the process.

‘You’ll go a year without writing sometimes, and you’ll hate it, but then when you do write again you’re so focussed because you know what the book is missing so you can just sit and write.’ I’m paraphrasing, but this was the basic idea that I left with.

I saw a friend on Tuesday, relayed the meeting to him, and then said, ‘All in all, I feel quite calm about the whole thing.’

He leaned forehead and pressed the back of his hand against my forehead.

‘Who are you?’

‘Oh, I know this it won’t last,’ I replied. ‘I’m just saying, at the minute I feel quite calm.’

And I was right, too. It didn’t last.

The first ‘wobble’ appeared some time Thursday afternoon when I took the marked up manuscript out the folder and started to skim through it. This lasted about a minute and a half – I’m probably being generous with my timing there – before I put the manuscript back inside the folder, returned to my desk, and stared at the wall for another minute and a half – again, this might be generous – before, in no uncertain terms, thinking to myself, ‘How the f- am I ever going to fix this?’


But it’s okay because this, I have realised, is part of my process. I am calm, I am panicked, and then I am prepared – although I haven’t quite hit this last one yet, I am determined to push it into action at some point today (if you hear howls of anguish in the far distance, assume that it’s me). In a self-indulgent sense, this is the point of this blog post. I am getting thoughts out of my head, in a hopefully constructive manner, in the further hope that it will clear out some space for all of those annotations – some of which will be as simple as ‘wrong word’ or ‘phrasing it out’; some of which might even be ‘nice’ or ‘lovely’, if I only I took the time to have a decent look through them.

In a bid to find a learning curve here, I think an unexpected lesson that I’m starting to extract from doing a PhD is that writing is not the only part of creativity that has a proper process. Editing – calm, panic, prepared – also does. And while it may not be 100% effective, 100% of the time, it seems to have worked so far. I have to have faith, I suppose, that later this afternoon when I take that draft out of the folder again, a second wave of calm-meets-preparedness will take over. If not, there’s always tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I should(n't) be writing, right?

It’s been a little while since I wrote one of these things so let me catch you up: I’ve finished my PhD I’ve finished lecturing for this academic year I’m publishing my first poetry pamphlet in July (you can pre-order it here  if you feel in the mood to treat yourself) I’ve placed my debut novel with a publisher (Bloodhound Books, who are kind and sympathetic people to work with), and I’ve started writing another novel They’re the major blanks filled in – unless I’ve forgotten something, but we can always come back for a quick edit later. I’ve been exceptionally lucky so far this year; that’s my only real explanation for all of the above. After worrying ‘how I would top 2017’ – after submitting my thesis and publishing The Women You Were Warned About – 2018 has, in fact, been quite the beaut of a year so far. But, I digress! My main reason for coming back to this blog is that I have a new/different/changing relationship with writing at the moment, and

Copycat: Second book fears, panic-writing, and plans for a sequel

When people ask me how I wrote Copycat , I have to explain to them the constant state of panic that I was in while I pulled this book together. Intention , my debut novel which was also published by Bloodhound Books, was a labour of love that lasted three years in total, and five years to the point that it was published. I wrote that book as part of my PhD programme, which also means that throughout those three years I had a great support network in place to get me through the process of writing a book. The reason behind the Copycat -panic then was that this would be the first novel I would write without someone holding me up, and those first steps to get the book together were nervous and wobbly ones to say the least.             Copycat ’s  first draft came together in about two months. At the beginning and end of most days, I would sit down at my laptop and I would push and push until I managed a few hundred words at a time. I firmly believe that, whether you write a book fast

Love and the psychopath: the Daniel and Gillian story (Intention, Bloodhound Books)

Book blurb: When twenty-two-year-old Gillian Thompson returns from university for the summer, it is apparent there is tension at home. An irritant to her father and a concern to her mother, Gillian’s home life is less than ideal. Geraldine, Gillian’s mother, has suffered abuse from Joe for years. However, it is not until Joe dies that the family dynamic shifts and Gillian starts out on her own dark journey… When Gillian meets Paul and Daniel she starts to become the person she always knew she was. And as people around her start dying Gillian faces scrutiny from her mother.  But are the deaths accidents or is something more sinister at work? C.S. Barnes'  Intention  is set to be one of 2019's stand-out debuts. A dark and compelling psychological thriller, it will appeal to fans of authors like; Lisa Jewell, S.E. Lynes, Theresa Driscoll. Love and the psychopath: the Daniel and Gillian story Gillian was always a difficult protagonist to love, bu