Skip to main content

The Diary of a PhD Student: Killing my darlings

Well, it’s been a while, hasn’t it? I feel like my plan to blog here throughout writing my PhD book has been completely hijacked by how much time it’s actually taken to write a book… Funny, that. My New Year’s Writing Resolution - one of many, in fact - is to start using this space more to discuss writing in the hope that someone might read it, or better yet, read it and find it interesting/useful/encouraging/anything good.

So, what’s been happening? Well, I’ve finished the first draft of the novel for my PhD. Cue mass chorus of applause and cheering! I finished it a little while ago; so long ago, in fact, that I’ve managed to print the thing and rip it apart with line edits over the Christmas period (which, incidentally, is a near-on heart-breaking challenge that I will never again save for what is meant to be the most wonderful time of the year). In the beginning there were words crossed out, then whole paragraphs were lined through, eventually I was dragging my pen diagonally across the page, and the page after that, and the page after that… And now we’re here.

University kicks off again next week and I have a meeting with my supervisor on the first day to discuss my progress and any concerns that may have arisen over the Christmas break.

Concern Number One: Am I actually cut out for this? I mean, I signed up for writing. What I actually seem to be doing is writing and creating things that I think are lovely, only to then go through it with a completely different head on (namely Charley-the-Editor, rather than Charley-the-Writer) to tell myself, ‘This is terrible, why did we even write this part?’

Back to reality now. It is a concern, yes, but I’d be oh-so-misguided if I genuinely believed that this wasn’t all just part of the process; I’m telling myself this in the begrudging way that I say it to other people when their eyes bulge from their heads on hearing that I’m scrapping whole chapters of the book:

‘You’ve put a line through the whole chapter?’

‘It’s all part of the process.’

If nothing else, this has become my mantra over the last month and a half. Although I say it begrudgingly, and although my eyes too do bulge from their sockets when I find Charley-the-Editor crossing things out again, in a display of what I’m hoping is writer-maturity I do actually believe now that this is all part of the process. The painful, relentless, repetitive, ego-damaging process. (And the next time someone tells me that it’s cute that I’m writing a book, they think they’ve got a novel in them too, or they plan to write a book in the future when they can ‘find the time for that sort of thing’, I’ll probably slap them round the face with this process; consider this an official warning.)

Concern Number Two: Does everyone find it this difficult?

Truthfully, I don’t even think I need my supervisor to answer this one for me. Charley-the-Editor has her head screwed on well enough to give me a firm and definitive ‘Yes’.

I’m in a Killing My Darlings sort of place at the moment. With university on the cusp of kicking off - and with the somewhat troublesome knowledge that I haven’t been brave enough to discuss this first draft with anyone bar my supervisor yet - I’m all too aware that I need a clean draft/a second draft of the manuscript so I can woman-up and start sending it round to people who will rip it apart with a ferocity that Charley-the-Editor doesn’t have. The line edits that I scribbled all over the paper-copy just before Christmas are what I’m working on at the moment and chapter by chapter they’re being typed up, alongside small sections that need to be re-written as I go along (to make sense of the scenes surrounding them if nothing else). The major re-writes, of which there are several, I am saving until the gruelling first edit is done with. When I say saving, what I actually mean is that I’m bribing myself with the promise of more writing after finishing the edit, and for someone who misses writing as they would a limb this is a tremendously useful thing to be working towards. These new chunks that I’m yet to write will likely be written as part of the next draft - whatever draft that will be by then - alongside new concerns, considerations, and changes that will arise as more people read/rip apart the book.

And that’s where we are right now. It sounds like a feasible and concrete plan of action for moving forward, which is an achievement in itself as far as I’m concerned. Whether it actually works out that way remains to be seen; although I do hope to update this a little more frequently than I did last year so whatever cock-ups arise over the coming the weeks, you’ll be sure to hear about them (once I’ve stopped crying on the disarrayed pages of my manuscript). Until then, happy writing.

C x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A rough-around-the-edges poem: Talk Me Down

I’m on the precipice of panic, I’ve said something and I can’t retract it and worse still you won’t let me. I’m on the cusp of begging you to forget me but you’ve already made it uncomfortably clear that no matter how near to the cliff face I feel, you’re not letting me go anywhere. And so I run. Wind in hair, feet pounding ground, I’m endeavouring to outrun light and sound but then you catch me by the collar just as my feet are about to become unbound. I’m on the edge of something now, inhaling sea air and as my lungs contract you try to pull me back in tact but I’m still wriggling against you. You can’t understand what I’m hiding from on the cliff top, why a long drop and a slow stop might seem more appealing that whatever these emotions are that I’m feeling, which should give you an idea of how itchy they make me, or maybe an idea of how few I’m showing and how many I’m really concealing. I can feel a world of love inside my che

The Diary of a Whatever I Am Now: Transition period.

Transition: 'the process or the period of changing from one state or condition to another'. I wanted to make this blog more of a regular thing once my PhD was over, for several reasons. Partly it’s just to log what happens next and this, in itself, is two-fold: I want to have some kind of documentation of this recovery process (yes, that’s what I’m calling it) that follows the PhD, but I also live in hope that someone who is struggling with having finished their PhD might find this blog some day, and breathe a hefty sigh on realising that the weird grief-cum-relief they’re feeling right now isn’t totally abnormal – in fact, it might even be quite common. I also want to get into the habit of writing more – something I’m encouraging my own students to do now and I hate giving out writing advice that I haven’t/am not taking myself, and so here we are. This is my first post as a Whatever I Am Now (because I still don’t have balls big enough to write The Diary of a Writer in th

I should(n't) be writing, right?

It’s been a little while since I wrote one of these things so let me catch you up: I’ve finished my PhD I’ve finished lecturing for this academic year I’m publishing my first poetry pamphlet in July (you can pre-order it here  if you feel in the mood to treat yourself) I’ve placed my debut novel with a publisher (Bloodhound Books, who are kind and sympathetic people to work with), and I’ve started writing another novel They’re the major blanks filled in – unless I’ve forgotten something, but we can always come back for a quick edit later. I’ve been exceptionally lucky so far this year; that’s my only real explanation for all of the above. After worrying ‘how I would top 2017’ – after submitting my thesis and publishing The Women You Were Warned About – 2018 has, in fact, been quite the beaut of a year so far. But, I digress! My main reason for coming back to this blog is that I have a new/different/changing relationship with writing at the moment, and